Human-Animal Studies (HAS) is a rapidly growing interdisciplinary field that examines the complex and multidimensional relationships between humans and other animals. HAS comprises work in such areas of study as psychology, sociology, anthropology, social work, political science, history, literary criticism and other disciplines in the humanities. The ASI has developed programs, events, publications and other resources that expand the availability of courses and resources in institutions of higher learning, and work to help faculty and other scholars to access the tools to help them in their work.
Teaching Resources for Faculty
- Find out how to establish human-animal studies majors or minors at your college
- Let us know what courses you’re teaching so we can list them on the HAS courses page
- Encourage your students to apply for the ASI-WAS undergraduate paper prize
- If you are a non-US scholar, consider applying for the ASI-HSI International Development Program Award
- Buy Teaching the Animal: Human-Animal Studies across the Disciplines to help create or improve your HAS course
- Adopt our textbook, Animals and Society: An Introduction to Human-Animal Studies, for your classroom text.
- Visit our blogs, HASImages and HASCinema, to find images and short videos to use in your teaching
- Purchase some books in the Human-Animal Studies Book Series to teach in your classes
- Subscribe to Society and Animals (for humanities and social science scholars) or the Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science, (for natural science scholars); articles in both of these journals are also very useful for class readings
- Visit the HASResource page to find course materials for your classes, including syllabi, a bibliography, a filmography, videos, powerpoints, and much more.
- Artist Karen Harris has created a website, The Lives of Animals, where her work is located. She would like to share her work with faculty teaching HAS classes; if you are interested, please email Karen.
If you need additional resources, or have some resources to offer, please email Gala Argent.