Select Page

Creating a Major or Minor in HAS

ASI has been putting together materials to help faculty with instituting interdisciplinary Minors and Majors in Human-Animal Studies at their respective home institutions.

At this time, there are two B.A. programs in human animal studies in the United States or Canada (at Eastern Kentucky University, Carroll College), and nine minor programs (at Brock University, University of Redlands, Drury University, New York University, Green Mountain College, Carroll College, St. Joseph’s University, University of Windsor, and Canisius College).

Other universities, in the U.S. and elsewhere, offer graduate programs, such as Arizona State University (graduate certificate in treating animal abuse), Canisius College (masters degree in anthrozoology), Colorado State University (graduate program in environmental ethics and animal welfare), the American College of Applied Science (animal behavior counseling program),  Madonna University (masters in humane studies), Tufts University (animals and public policy), the University of British Columbia (animal welfare), University of Denver (animal assisted social work), Exeter University (Anthrozoology), and Michigan State University (animal studies). In addition, Lewis and Clark Law School now offers an LL.M in animal law, the University of Barcelona offers a Masters in Animal Law and Society, and the University of Basel now offers a doctorate in animal law.

Still other programs offer individuals the opportunity to develop a professional specialization that helps animals, such as Duquesne University’s humane leadership major, Humane Society University’s School of Professional Development, Madonna University’s certificate in animal cruelty investigation, Thompson River University’s certificate in animal welfare, Rutgers University Animals, Community and the Law certificate, and the universities which offer certificates in animal-assisted interaction (Bircham International University, Oakland University, Tri-County Community College, University of North Texas, and Oranim College), humane education (Institute for Humane Education), wildlife rehabilitation (Lees McRae College).

We are reaching out to faculty around the country to find out about other programs, and to help faculty members to create minor and major programs, certificates, and graduate programs, at their own colleges.

For faculty wishing to create a minor program at their college, please click here for a pdf document, created by Mylan Engel, Jr. of Northern Illinois University, with details on how to do it. For faculty wishing to create a major at their college, please click here for a pdf document, created by Robert Mitchell of Eastern Kentucky University, with details on how to do it. This document  was used to create EKU’s own Animal Studies major.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Unless otherwise noted, all content on this website is copyright © 2020 The Animals and Society Institute. Please visit to find out more about our reprint and use policies.

Share Us Online