The Animals & Society Institute is looking for a passionate individual with expertise in human-animal studies to become our new Human-Animal Studies (HAS) program director. The job is up to 20 hours per week and can be remote. This person will be responsible for overseeing ASI’s HAS programs and communicating with scholars and students around the world.
- Manage ASI’s current HAS programs which includes the Summer Institute, International Development Program, Defining Human-Animal Studies video series, undergraduate paper prize, Sloth, and more
- Work with Executive Director to set program strategies involving creating processes deadlines, milestones, budgets, and monitoring performance.
- Develop extensions of scholarship to policy and practice (e.g., encourage scholars to address policy and practice implications of their research
- Keep in contact with scholars and students around the world, and especially with those who have participated in ASI programs
- Be an advocate for human-animal studies; give talks and presentations at conference occasionally.
- Assist Executive Director with grant proposals as needed
- Oversee and update all the HAS pages on the ASI website and create new resources
- Keep up to date on publications in HAS to update the News section of the ASI website and New Research Corner
- Maintain the HAS listserv
- Create the monthly HAS newsletter and content for ASI newsletter
- Work with the ASI staff to help with promotion or fundraising as needed
- PhD related to human-animal studies (MA/MS may be considered)
- Experience managing programs and/or interest in developing skills in program development and evaluation}
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Skills with WordPress, Microsoft Word and Excel, PowerPoint, Dropbox, Google Drive, and more
- Fundraising skills are a bonus
- Video creation and social media skills are a plus
To apply for this position, please email email@example.com the following:
- Cover Letter
- A writing sample