ASI helps improve and expand knowledge about human-animal relationships in order to create safer and more compassionate communities for all. We are the leader in translating research on human-animal interaction into practice, providing essential knowledge and tools, and promoting evidence-based approaches that get results.
What we do
- We expose students to the study of human-animal relationships, providing them access to quality information about human-animal studies, and opportunities for how to get involved in it.
- We help to create and improve human-animal studies programs in universities and colleges
- We provide faculty with an interest in human-animal studies with access to quality information about the field, and opportunities for how to get involved in it
- We help promote scholarly work in human-animal studies and try to translate that work into something that human and animal service professionals and other scholars can access and use
- We help to ascertain research priorities for the field, targeting topics that are under-researched, giving scholars venues to research and publish in those areas
- We convene conversations whereby scholars and those who work to help animals and people can discuss their work
- We provide information and resources to help those who are working in areas of primary, secondary and tertiary prevention and treatment of animal abuse to accomplish their goals.
- We create and promote intervention and treatment programs to help human service providers identify, evaluate, treat and/or appropriately refer individuals who abuse animals
- We provide resources so that Humane Education professionals can include animal abuse as part of their work, in order to expand the range of prevention strategies available
- We provide assessments of existing humane education programs, animal abuse treatment programs, and other programs that will help professionals to locate the best, most effective practices for their work
- We provide high quality, scholarly resources to animal agencies and animal service professionals to allow them to use the most effective practices for their work
- We provide evidence-based, theoretically sound and useful knowledge about human-animal relationships to those who work to affect policy and practices involving animals